Would the real Unix VM sources please stand up?

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Wed Apr 24 15:14:12 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 24 April 2002 06:50 am, Ian Piumarta wrote:

> The patch is against the 3.1beta-4478 sources, posted about a month
> ago on my Squeak page.  (If you're using VMMaker then you'll have
> to figure out for yourself how to persuade patch to work right, or
> simply apply the patches by hand -- they're minimal.)  If it works
> for you and seems stable (i.e., Comanche functions properly for a
> few days) then I'll roll it into a 3.1 final release along with
> various other stuff and build a bunch of new VMs.

So how exactly does Ian's version of the "3.1 final release" Unix VM
relate to the Sourceforge CVS sources?

Is Ian still the official source of the Unix VM?

If so, what is the Sourceforge/VMMaker effort for?

I can't imagine that the community of Unix Squeakers has such
divergent needs that a single body of source wouldn't be appropriate.

Is the Unix VM still forked? I thought that the revival of the
Sourceforge CVS effort was actually a unification of that fork; it
seems I was wrong to believe this.

Has Ian been applying the fixes that have been applied to the
Sourceforge VM?

I've been posting various fixes (for instance, for the serial port and
for the clipboard) and it would be unfortunate if they didn't get
into the "official" VM, whatever that is.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com