Would the real Unix VM sources please stand up?

Göran Hultgren gohu at rocketmail.com
Wed Apr 24 20:41:05 UTC 2002

Hi all!

--- Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> wrote:
[SNIP]
> Is Ian still the official source of the Unix VM?
>
> If so, what is the Sourceforge/VMMaker effort for?
>
> I can't imagine that the community of Unix Squeakers has such
> divergent needs that a single body of source wouldn't be appropriate.
>
> Is the Unix VM still forked? I thought that the revival of the
> Sourceforge CVS effort was actually a unification of that fork; it
> seems I was wrong to believe this.

Well, as I recall the "SF effort" has been having trouble from day one.
I find that unfortunate of course - for all platforms.

My impression is that the work on VMMaker (great thanks to Tim) with SF has led to Andreas (win32)
and John (Mac) joining up eventually (I think) but Ian (Unix) (who actually doesn't even read this
list AFAICT but that is not such a big problem) has not. That's too bad. I hope he can change his
mind.

Currently I *personally* consider the SF sources to be the "official" ones for all platforms. If
Squeak is meant to be an "open source" project in spirit (an important not totally obvious
assumption) then a common source repository is mandatory IMHO. And using CVS works. Sure, there
are some warts but that is not the point - noone has bothered to setup a better/different
alternative.

regards, Göran

=====
Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
"Department of Redundancy department." -- ThinkGeek