Would the real Unix VM sources please stand up?

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Thu Apr 25 02:53:47 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 24 April 2002 01:41 pm, "Göran" Hultgren wrote:

> Well, as I recall the "SF effort" has been having trouble from day
> one. I find that unfortunate of course - for all platforms.
>
> My impression is that the work on VMMaker (great thanks to Tim)
> with SF has led to Andreas (win32) and John (Mac) joining up
> eventually (I think) but Ian (Unix) (who actually doesn't even read
> this list AFAICT but that is not such a big problem) has not.
> That's too bad. I hope he can change his mind.

My latest impression of Ian's sources were not altogether positive;
they wouldn't compile until I added
#include <stdlib.h>
to aio.c (because it calls exit(), which is declared in stdlib.h per
the C standard), and then the wheel mouse didn't work. The wheel
mouse has worked for some time in the SF sources.

> Currently I *personally* consider the SF sources to be the
> "official" ones for all platforms. If Squeak is meant to be an
> "open source" project in spirit (an important not totally obvious
> assumption) then a common source repository is mandatory IMHO. And
> using CVS works. Sure, there are some warts but that is not the
> point - noone has bothered to setup a better/different alternative.

Yes, but the Squeak homepage will probably point to VMs made from
Ian's sources as the "official" ones.

I don't want to waste my time submitting VM changes to the list if
they're going to be ignored.

Even my changes to the sqUnixSerial.c (that I wrote) didn't make it in
there, and it's been quite some time. As far as I know, you can't
even receive characters with that old version. This was fixed quite
some time ago.

If the list is the standard medium for bug fixes, etc., then why
aren't they being applied to (what appears to be) the "official"
sources?

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com