Squeak 3.2 UNIX - A newbie's plead

Hunter Kelly retnuh at eircom.net
Thu Apr 25 09:16:10 UTC 2002

Beware!  I had pulled down the src rpm from:

ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/3.0/unix-linux/x86linux/RPMs/

and was led to believe that gcc3 was required to build the VM.
This basically led to 4 days of pain and frustration until someone else
pointed out "gcc-3.x bad, gcc-2.96 good" (Thanks Ned!).

I have a working VM built from SF sources.

Also, be careful, if you start with the 3.0 vm/image and try to
apply all the updates, it just blows up somepoint after warning you
that a new VM is required...