Alan Kay in the News

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Fri Apr 26 14:18:23 UTC 2002

Yep --

... and with Andreas Raab. This is a project called t-Time that is a
Squeak-based platform for massive peer-peer collaboration in
arbitrary media (especially 3D). It is coming along well, and will
probably be released as open sources sometime in late summer or fall
when it is stable enough.

Unlike current Squeak, which was (and is) a pretty straightforward
upgrade of Xerox PARC Smalltalk to the 21st century, t-Time has a
number of mechanisms that have not to my knowledge been implemented
before, including some very subtle ways to constantly resychronize
processes that are running on thousands of machines of various types,
speeds, with various network delays and errors between them.

You all know Andreas Raab. Dave Smith is one of the best known guys
in personal computer video games, and was the founder of many
companies including "The Hunt For Red October" with Tom Clancy, and
"Timeline" with Michael Chrighton. Dave Reed is one of the great
systems designers, and is popularly known as "the '/' in TCP/IP"
because he was instrumental in putting those two protocols together
when the ARPA and PARC folks made the Internet work.

Cheers,

Alan