BDF fonts

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Fri Apr 26 23:33:40 UTC 2002

On Friday 26 April 2002 04:26 pm, Ross Boylan wrote:
> I noticed a reference to BDF fonts among the recent posts.
> What does BDF stand for?  What are they?

BDF is a bitmap font format used by the X window system. The BDF
distribution that's available gets a set of public-domain fonts from
the 'net and installs them.

There is also the Accufonts, which are a complete set of carefully
designed fonts.

> More generally, what is the current and future status of fonts in
> squeak?  http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/696 has some info, but
> it doesn't mention BDF, and the reference to "high quality fonts"
> says it's for the 2.7 image.

And the "high quality fonts" work has been updated for 3.0 (and works
with 3.2): http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1225

I have nice versions of Arial, etc, from Henrik's distribution as well
as the Accufonts in my image. I've deleted the Apple fonts.

I also have Comic Bold (which I think is a M$ font), because a couple
of things mentioned it explicitly (though I fixed one of them).

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com