How do you define "object-oriented"?

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Sat Apr 27 07:27:41 UTC 2002

Doug Way <dway at riskmetrics.com> said:
>Agreed.  I guess I kind of meant heavy-duty number crunching when I said "raw speed", which mostly applies to simpler programs/algorithms.  The more complex your application becomes, the more important productivity becomes, so that larger/complex apps will often run faster when written in something like Smalltalk.

Plus that I think that even for heavy-duty number crunching it's only
"the inner loop" (for some value of inner loop) that counts. Usually
small enough to be hand-optimized in C (or ran through Slang - anyone
ever used that to speed up things? Does it work?). No need for primitive
types at the level of your application language, in any case.

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>