[ENH] DateAndTime

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Mon Apr 29 16:42:23 UTC 2002

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 12:08:07AM -0400, Lex Spoon wrote:
> "Ross Boylan" <RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org> wrote:
> >
> Are you aware of the existing implementation of ANSI classes and methods
> by Richard Harmon?
>
> 	http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2384
>

> ANSI Squeak is here.  Nobody seems to know about it.
>
> -Lex

That may have been the other implementation I was thinking of.  I have
not had much of a chance to compare them.

I do recall there was some implementation that said it was a bit of an
experiment or an exercise.  The classes I provided are pretty well
worked through (not by me, but by Brent).

One problem I noticed is that the classes don't track changes to and
from daylight savings time.  This might be less of an issue on systems
where the clock is set to UTC, but I find I need to reset the offset
from UTC manually.  Even if the clock is on UTC, presumably this would
need to be reset to get the correct local wall-clock time.  I'm not
sure if this is specific to the DateAndTime classes in the enhancement
I posted, or if other implementations (e.g., the classes in the base
image) have similar problems.

I was told that the ANSI date/time stuff wasn't likely to go in the
baseline image because it would be too disruptive.  However, that
might be less of an issue with classes that supplement, rather than
replace, the existing Date and Time classes.