Will the real sqUnixSocket.c step forward?

Göran Hultgren goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Mon Apr 29 18:58:54 UTC 2002

Hi all!

Quoting John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>:
> I was looking at the source code for sqUnixSocket.c on sourceforge,
> then from Ian's Squeak-3.1beta-4478-src.tar.
>
> Lo they are a bit different. So could the real source code step
> forward?

I would guess that depends on who you ask... :-)

If Ians code includes Lex's enhancements (and I think he said that he had
included those - whatever they are) then perhaps we should switch to it.

Ian's opinion of the SF version was... well. Let's say he had opinions.

Anyway, currently neither works in regard with the bug I found. I tried the
patch from Ian, and it did solve my little testprog but our app didn't work.
With the patch in the readSemaphore didn't get signalled that much... And I
applied the patch both to SF (as good as I knew how) and to his 4478-tar, with
the same result.

So the patch isn't complete. Today we managed to "fumble" ourselves around it by
hacking waitForDataUntil: and doing a "(Delay milliSeconds: 10) wait" instead of
the wait with timeout on the readsemaphore. Yep, ugly as hell but it works well
enough for us to continue developing...

regards, Göran

PS. I will help in any way I can with this - Squeak needs rock solid Sockets. DS

Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
\"Department of Redundancy department.\" -- ThinkGeek