Translating Squeak

Diego Gomez Deck DiegoGomezDeck at ConsultAr.com
Tue Apr 30 09:17:29 UTC 2002

Hello list!

Translating the eToys vocabulary to spanish, I found (like many people do) that *too* many thinks get not tranlation with the current translation-support.

We need a more complete solution to this problem. I propose to atack it in 2 fronts:

1) String
2) Date, Time and Number

For 1) I created some methods in String (and a class variable named Languages and a few class methods to initialize and fill it)

String>>translated
   ^ self translatedTo: World currentNaturalLanguage

String>>translatedTo: languageSymbol
   | language |

   language := Languages
                  at: languageSymbol
                  ifAbsent:[Transcipt show:'*Language: ', languageSymbol, ' not present!'; cr.
                            ^ self].

	^ language
        at: self
        ifAbsent:[Transcipt show:'*Sentence:', self, ' not present!'; cr.
						self]

I took the Browser class and added #translated message to all hard-code strings.  Then, watching in the Transcript for warnings about missing sentences, I translated the complete browser in just 1/2 hour.

Example:
Browser>>defaultBrowserTitle
	^ 'System Browser' translated

This mechanism could be not the best, but we need regionalized Squeaks to teach kids (or kids to teach us :)...

I'd like to hear your comments...

Cheers,

Diego Gomez Deck