Translating Squeak

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Tue Apr 30 15:43:08 UTC 2002

Diego Gomez Deck <DiegoGomezDeck at ConsultAr.com> said:
>String>>translated
>   ^ self translatedTo: World currentNaturalLanguage

I think that's a usable approach. It has some drawbacks (if someone changes a
fixed string somewhere e.g. to fix up a comma or a speling error the
translation strings won't work anymore - that's why VisualWorks uses symbols
to index a message catalog), but it is very lightweight and easy to add to the
image. With some minimal tooling around changesets it's probably possible to
fix the drawbacks as well (find strings pre and post a changeset and use these
to see what translations could possibly have been broken).

Personally, I'm aiming at translating just the Etoys stuff. As it stands
now, you need to be able to cope with English anyway to work with Squeak
on the Smalltalk level (comments, selector names, etcetera) so I'm
trying to find a path from Etoys/Dutch towards Smalltalk/English. Even
an incomplete Etoys translation is not so bad in this respect.

However, it would be good to have this in the image - a central repository of
strings and some well-chosen applications of the #translated message would
really speed up translation of the other 'non-Smalltalk' stuff, like the flaps
and authoring tools.

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>