Improving Mail To List/submission vectors (was: Re: PLEASE use MIMEAtttachments! (was: Re: [FIX] Comments for Set...))

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Tue Apr 30 16:16:24 UTC 2002

Bijan Parsia wrote:

> [snip]
> > I propose the following change to Celeste.  For all I know, it may already
> > have been made in Squeak 3.2, but if not, I hope someone will do it.
> >
> > A "Mister Postman" window has two big buttons at the top,
> > "send message" and "add attachment".  Change this to three:
> > "send message later", "send message now", and "add attachment".
> > "send message now" should open up an SMTP socket and send the
> > message right away.
>
> Ah, here's my [ENH] (sorry, not a goodie):
>
>         http://swiki.gsug.org:8080/sqfixes/1528.html
>
> Yay sqfixes!
>
> It may not entirely work as is as it prolly uses older preference
> structure.
>
> Note it didn't do *quite* what you asked, as it avoids Celeste altogether.

Actually, this changeset has already been incorporated into the main release (sometime during 3.1), with some minor changes.

If you don't have anything with Celeste configured, and you try to "mail to list", it prompts you to enter a temporary email address and SMTP server, so you don't have to mess with Celeste if you don't want to.

The sender's full name feature was originally incorporated too, but then it was removed because it caused some sort of problem with some SMTP servers, I'm not sure why.

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com