[e-lang] Java Serialization Re: Alan Kay in the News

Mark S. Miller markm at caplet.com
Tue Apr 30 23:38:21 UTC 2002

Blaine, I forwarded your message to the e-lang list.  I am cross posting
this reply to both lists.

At 04:19 PM 4/30/2002 Tuesday, Blaine Buxton wrote:
>I am currently working on reading in Java Serialized Files as we speak into
>Squeak. Right now, I have simple serialized java objects working (in other
>words, they don't override the serialization interface (custom serialization) nor implements
>externalizable), but I should have that working soon.

That's great!  CapTP currently uses Java serialization.  I don't like that
for all the reasons you mention, and wish to eventually switch to an
alternative, as we've been discussing.  However, it sounds like your work
would enable Rob's Squeak-E efforts to interoperate with the current E
before we figure out the right serialization answer.  That'd be great for a
number of reasons, but especially because we'd then be trying to find the
right answer after some experience running cross platform.  Do you also
expect to be able to write Java serialization streams?  That would be
necessary of course.

Rob, does this sound like it could work for you?

>Right now, it's a weekend project for fun. But, if anyone is interested in
>seeing the Java serialization code...I would be more than happy to send it.
>Warning: It's in a state of flux...no tests and no comments yet. But, I plan
>to rectify that situation soon...=)

I would, but only if you first give it an OSD sanctioned Mozilla-compatible
open source license.  (Our preference is the MIT X License.)  Please don't
public domain it, as we are currently confused about the liability
implications, and have received conflicting advice from lawyers.  (Our
mistake -- we asked more than one.)

        Cheers,
        --MarkM