Squeak 3.2 UNIX - A newbie's plead

Martin Altobello martin_altobello at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Apr 30 22:52:43 UTC 2002

El jue, 25-04-2002 a las 06:16, Hunter Kelly escribió:
> Beware!  I had pulled down the src rpm from:
>
> ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/3.0/unix-linux/x86linux/RPMs/
>
> and was led to believe that gcc3 was required to build the VM.
> This basically led to 4 days of pain and frustration until someone else
> pointed out "gcc-3.x bad, gcc-2.96 good" (Thanks Ned!).
>
> I have a working VM built from SF sources.
>
> Also, be careful, if you start with the 3.0 vm/image and try to
> apply all the updates, it just blows up somepoint after warning you
> that a new VM is required...

The same happened to me. I also knew about the 3.0 rpm but I needed
3.2gamma to keep group convention.

So, I decided to give it another try, I downloaded the .orig.tar.gz from
the debian's ftp... and tried the configure, etc. ritual again, and this
time it worked! Live and learn. :)

The only thing I did different was to have a "build" directory and typed
the commands from there. That way I didn't get any errors - when I
cd(ed) all the way up to /misc and then ./configure I got one error
sqXWindow-something (more or less). So as it happens most of the times
in this cases, (to me anyhow), it was a really stupid really small
detail. Sorry about that.

Now I have Squeak3.2gamma up and running in Linux Mandrake 8.2. It looks
a bit different and I have to get used to just one button and no scrool
wheel, but it works! :D

Thank you all for the help.

Martín