Morphic slowness (was Re: Does *anyone* use MVC?)

Andreas Raab Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Thu Aug 1 22:26:44 UTC 2002

Göran,

I think it mostly depends on what you are trying to do. In Morphic,
measuring the "time to handle an event" is an utterly meaningless
measure for responsiveness because you are neglecting important other
parts of the system (such as time spent in layout, redrawing, stepping
etc). This is why there were all of those "doOneCycleNow" spread out in
the places (removing them will make the code almost infinitely faster).
Also, what the code I sent around was intended for is to get a general
feeling for "what part to look first" in order to find good candidates
for looking closer. What it should tell us is not which method exactly
to look at but to compare how much time is spent in construction,
interaction, repainting and other parts that relate to UI feel.

Cheers,
  - Andreas