Morphic slowness (was Re: Does *anyone* use MVC?)

Andreas Raab Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Fri Aug 2 01:31:37 UTC 2002

Dan,

> Well, this *sounds* good, but when I look at the default
> method for intoWorld:,  I see it just calls wantsSteps, so
> why won't we just see the same tallies under intoWorld:
> instead of startSteppingSubmorphsOf:.  Am I missing something?

#startSteppingSubmorphsOf: is called from various places and not - like
#intoWorld: - from a few well-defined points in the life-time of a
morph. Meaning that there are many cases in which the method is run even
though the morph tree is already known to be stepping or not (can't say
for sure if that's the case here but I have a strong feeling that this
may be the case). And then, there's the issue that
startSteppingSubmorphsOf: is less efficient than intoWorld: in itself -
due to the nature of our profiler which uses stochastic sampling it is
quite possible that you see slowness show up in other places - after all
this place was sampled at most 20 times (possibly less if there have
been any process switches) which doesn't make for a very good confidence
interval. If I were *really* interested in this issue (which I am not
;-) I'd tally the sends to see what is going on for sure.

Cheers,
  - Andreas