-headless and blocking users from modifying things

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Fri Aug 2 02:49:20 UTC 2002

On Thursday 01 August 2002 07:33 pm, Rob Whitfield wrote:
> I have a server app that I run with the -headless command line
> option. The problem is that on NT (at least) this results in teh
> squeak icon being placed in the system tray.  If the user clicks
> the icon in the system tray then squak expands, exposing the user
> to the whole squeak UI.  Is there a way to lock users out from
> doing ANYTHING in the squeak UI?  Password protection perhaps?
>
> If there is nothing straightforward that can be done I may need to
> build headless VMs for my various platforms (NT, Mac OSX, Mac OS9).

I posted a change set on the 17th that does a pretty good job of
locking down the UI.
http://swiki.gsug.org:8080/sqfixes/2536.html

From its preamble:

By executing:
        Preferences disableProgrammerFacilities
from your personalized World menu and saving the locked image under a
new name, the following features are disabled:

* Halos
* Meta and Debug menus
* Command keys in world
* Command-dot interrupts
* Debuggers (though notifiers will still come up)
* World menu (from mouse or key)
* Command keys other than editing & cursor in text

The yellow-button menus in text panes will still come up.
It is assumed that text panes in your app will have their own
yellow-button menus.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com