-headless and blocking users from modifying things

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Aug 2 02:51:10 UTC 2002

>I have a server app that I run with the -headless command line
>option. The problem is that on NT (at least) this results in teh
>squeak icon being placed in the system tray.  If the user clicks the
>icon in the system tray then squak expands, exposing the user to the
>whole squeak UI.  Is there a way to lock users out from doing
>ANYTHING in the squeak UI?  Password protection perhaps?

I think you could make it an NT Service. See a howto to take any app
and make it an NT service. ?Doesn't say making it headless prevent a
window/UI from appearing?

>If there is nothing straightforward that can be done I may need to
>build headless VMs for my various platforms (NT, Mac OSX, Mac OS9).

Mmmm Can't say anyone has build a headless macintosh VM for quite a while.

There is a IHAVENOHEAD #ifDef that was placed there a few years back,
you'd need to compile with that defined. Also for OS-9 you could
change the application flags to say it's a background process, which
will prevent it showing in the list of applications. Originally it
would start with no window, but still appear in the finder's list of
applications so you could kill it.

For OS-X nothing really to prevent you from building it as a app with
no user interface, then spinning it off in a terminal session. But
I've not done that, however tools to build your own are free.