Does anyone have Squeak running on the Nokia 9290 yet?

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Fri Aug 2 08:46:11 UTC 2002

Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> said:
>> 	(a PDA phone)
>I'm reasonably sure this is an EPOC device, so probably not. There is a
>marginally working vm/image for a psion5 but it needs a bunch of work.

I think it's the same as the 9210 here (that's the GSM version). I don't
think there's a VM for it yet. Should be possible to do, but alas -
Nokia in all its wisdom decided to exclude non-Microsoft users from
development tools, and because it's such a broken platform (slow as hell,
because it has too little RAM so lots of data movement between flash and
RAM is going on; the phone crashes more often than a badly maintained Win95
box), and EPOC Crystal apparently broke most of the compatibility to the
"Psion EPOC", there are only few apps for it. Also, the UI is bad -
it doesn't even have a decent pointer device (there's an omnidirectional
cursor button, but I really don't see why they couldn't have added a digitizer
and a stylus to such an expensive piece of equipment).

Personally, I think the newer PalmOS-based phones (have they worked
around the issues that stopped Squeak from being ported to it on the
latest platforms?) are a much safer bet.

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>
Cogito ergo evigilo