Has anyone bothered to check out SqueakMap?

richard at simula.no richard at simula.no
Fri Aug 2 08:56:25 UTC 2002

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> I don't want to NAG, but have anybody at least looked at SqueakMap running in
> part on: http://marvin.bluefish.se:8000/sm

Yeah I looked and I'm *really* pleased that your working on this.  I
wish I had time to try it out and give you some quality feedback, but
here is what I can offer:

Search is the most important feature for users like me that want to use
the work of others, but who are not regular contributers (yet).

I believe modules/modularity is the most important problem to be solved
in the Squeak world, and I have been reading most postings regarding
this topic, but still do not buy into the proposed solutions.  I'm
curious about how much SqueakMap needs to know about the different types
of "packages".  It seems dangerous to me to try to make SqueakMap too
smart as you may end up having to do regular maintenance to support new
modularity and packaging schemes.

In understanding and testing a system like SqueakMap, I appreciate
use-case examples.  I didn't find those or other tutorial type
documentation on your pages.

Sorry this is not much help, but I hoped you would appreciate hearing
why users like me don't investigate further.

Rich