[ANN] Introducing Magma, an object database for Squeak

Chris Muller afunkyobject at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 2 17:28:59 UTC 2002

I think what you are talking about is an "application server".  Magma is just a
database server.  However, in this case, you should look at the change set
"ClientServerSupport".  In here you will find MaRequestServerForTcp and
MaRemoteServerLink.  Magma uses these to pass its objectified requests across
the network.  But you can define your own set of "request" classes for your web
app, and implement a class to be your "request processor" (look at references
to the variable "requestProcessor" in MaRequestServer to see the three or so
methods you would need to implement.  One of them I know is #protocol, the
collection of classes that are your requests and responses).

In your request processor, you would simply establish a local connection to the
Magma database.  Keeping track of YOUR clients would be your responsibility,
because as far as Magma is concerned, it would only have ONE client:  Your
web-app server.

I hope this helps..