Crusoe (was: Tablet hardware review- FrontPath ProGear)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Mon Aug 5 19:21:39 UTC 2002

On Monday 05 August 2002 14:22, Jerry Bell wrote:
> **any of you hardware gurus ever looked into what/if any advantages
> Squeak would have running on a Crusoe in native mode- (if there is
> such a thing) and skipping that whole x68 emulation layer completely?

It wouldn't be too interesting to recompile the C source for Squeak's VM
to the native instruction set of the Crusoe (which is a simple VLIW
processor, though the exact instructions change from one model to the
next).

A far better option would be to have a new Self/Strongtalk-like VM that
made full use of the hardware support for emulation. I designed a
processor (called Tachyon) like that in 1998 and though I am now going
in a very different direction I still think it is a great idea.

Unfortunately Transmeta seems to totally ignore anyone who doesn't have
a few billion dollars to spend, so I doubt this will ever be done.

-- Jecel