Mac question

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Aug 5 20:49:25 UTC 2002

>Hi
>
>I would like to be able to run different image in Squeak. I have to
>copy the VM to have multiple squeak running. I was used to do that
>on macOS9 but on MacOSX I was thinking

Well you are running afoul of the finder. You see when you double
clock on that squeak icon, the finder looks and sees that squeak is
already running so you don't get another instance running.

However as already pointed out if you drop down into the squeak
application executable directory say

/Users/johnmci/Documents/Squeak3.2.7osx/build/Squeak
3.2.7Beta6.app/Contents/MacOS

and invoke ./Squeak VM Opt

then well yes unix just launches that executable. I've tried this,
seems to work.

First glance would assume you could do

open Squeak\ 3.2.7Beta6.app

from the directory that contains the *.app which is a bit easier. See
man open. But this follows the same logic as the finder and you can't
run multiple copies.