Cross-platform path specification (was RE: Access directory relatively)

Eric Scharff Eric.Scharff at Colorado.EDU
Mon Aug 5 22:46:44 UTC 2002

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, David T. Lewis wrote:

> We already have a FileUrl, which aspires to be a platform-independent
> representation of a local filesystem path to a file or directory (or
> other "filesystem object" on some platforms). Perhaps it would be
> cleaner to add the missing behaviors there?

One danger I see with FileUrls is that I've seen many different syntaxes
for them.  It seems to be a mess.  Is the path separator in a FileUrl
always $/?  How are multiple volumes handled? It could encourage people to
build paths by hand, quite possibly in a non-cross-platform way.

-Eric