[ANN] [UPDATES] Nine updates for 3.3a

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Tue Aug 6 04:21:21 UTC 2002

Hi, Roger,

One can take heart from the historical precedent of Squeak 3.0.
After its "final" release, only eight more updates were ever issued
for it.

Thus, we don't believe in issuing endless updates for an established
release, but we *do* believe in using the update mechanism,
sparingly, to clean up a release.

Now that the actual 3.2 release is out, the criterion for
admissibility of further updates to it narrows considerably, down to
a few bug fixes and significant performance tweaks.

Cheers,

   -- Scott

PS:  Squeak's online updating mechanism has been one of our major
strengths for years, dating back to well before commercial systems
started having their own dynamic-updating mechanisms.  It serves us
well not only for sharing enhancements in our leading-edge systems,
but also for cleaning up problems in established releases as well.  I
think that most of us would consider the ability to iron out wrinkles
in a release using this mechanism to be a virtue, not a problem.

PPS:  The long, long winter of 3.2gamma was an event entirely out of
the ordinary, attributable to a unique combination of factors that
are not likely to arise again.