[Magma] performance (was: test result)

Stephen Pair spair at acm.org
Tue Aug 6 13:40:06 UTC 2002

Chris,

I don't think trying to optimize LargeInteger comparisons or arithmetic
will likely get you very far (though there might be some room for
improvement there).  You might be able to something using ByteArrays
with primitive support instead...make your oids 64 bits, and do 1 or 2
word comparisons in your primitive...that might be a little faster.

But, it looks to me like the issue is more about scaling the
dictionaries.  The reason that the comparison is consuming such a large
percentage of your time is that it is being called many times (not that
it itself takes an overly long time to perform).

In fact, the profiling results that you have for the 30 second test are
probably not valid at all for the 5 hour case.  They show that the bulk
of your time is being spent in low level (and probably optimized) code.
You may not be hitting the IdDict scaling wall in the 30 second test.
To make the 30 second test faster, I would figure out ways of reducing
the number of calls to the LargeInteger comparison.  To make the 5 hour
test faster, I'd profile it (or if that doesn't work, try profiling some
smaller piece of the 5 hour test...like one removal and at:put: 30
minutes into the operation).

- Stephen