Tablet hardware review- FrontPath ProGear

reic0024 at d.umn.edu reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Tue Aug 6 03:47:24 UTC 2002

"Jerry Bell" <jdbell at fareselaw.com> wrote:
> I've also had inconsistent results with Mouse Over Halos - it doesn't seem to work reliably,
> perhaps because of the nature of using a stylus.

Yup.  Perhaps if you tap the stylus somewhere else, and drag it to where
you want the halos to appear.  I've had to do that trick some places
(list morphs).

> Is there anyone else out there doing work with Squeak on a tablet?  I'm sure that a lot of the
> PDA work will apply, but there are also other aspects that won't- for example I would assume
> that most of the PDA stuff is based around swapping applications in and out full-screen due to
> the small screen sizes available.

My girlfriend bought the very same tablet you did, spurred by the link
you sent to the list. Just same yesterday.  Haven't got Squeak installed
yet, not until we get networking going so we can get in.  I plan on
putting together a LCARS-like launcher for her.

Too bad you can't run the exobox system on your tablet! :o) That'd be
way fun.

I think Russell and myself are the only ones doing PDA-specific stuff,
at least publically.  A lot of the Dynapad stuff does have to do with
switching windows and such, but now that I have this Jornada 720, whose
640x240 screen can hold two windows reliably, I'm conjuring up some sort
of tiling (and eventually tabbing) window management that I think you be
very useful on a system where you don't want to manually move windows
around, especially a tablet, but I'd like it on my desktop as well.

Aaron