[Magma] performance (was: test result)

Andreas Raab Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Tue Aug 6 18:00:09 UTC 2002

Chris,

> The other issue to contend with looks like the
> LargeInteger>>= comparisons.

The tally shows that most of the time is already spent in a primitive. I
(briefly) compared the speed of string and large int comparison and it
looked as if large int comparison are already the fasted byte-compare we
got (this may differ on architecture).

> Based on my current oid map, this looks like its going to be
> something that could use improvement:
[...]
> 16rFFFF000000000000 + 66000 to: 16rFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
> 	new objects

Did you ever look at Integer>>hash?! From the above it seems as if you
are assigning values that hash particularly bad. Try the following on
your map:

	(Set withAll: (map keys collect:[:key| key hash])) size.
	(Bag withAll: (map keys collect:[:key| key hash])) sortedCounts.

You might get very unpleasant result...

Cheers,
  - Andreas