Examining errors and failures with Squeak SUnit

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Aug 6 23:14:25 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 06 August 2002 03:04 pm, Ken Causey wrote:
> Well for what it's worth (and it may not be much since I'm not sure
> that I understand), the line number is of little interest to me.  I
> would prefer to see the line of code itself.  I don't intend to
> write test methods with more than 10 lines or so, and a good assert
> line should express the failure quite clearly.  On the other hand,
> perhaps knowing the line number is necessary for SUnit to extract
> the line of code.

Yes, it would be. There's no line number information stored anywhere.
The way it could go is this:

* exception handler saves exception (which has stack context) in
TestCase
* a click on the error line in TestRunner fires up the debugger
directly on the stored context (instead of re-starting the TestCase
as it does now) and you can see the next instruction highlighted in
your test method.

I think we could modify the current version to do the extra step
itself, too.

Have you seen my TestRunner enhancements that let you:

* run tests in background
* can debug failures/errors as soon as they happen, rather than
waiting for whole suite
* adds progress notification
* adds a stop button
* You can select which tests you want to run.
* It sorts the test cases by name.
* It works in a MVC project.
* It has a context menu for the selection list
* It allows you to select test cases by pattern

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com