[Magma] performance (was: test result)

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Wed Aug 7 21:14:29 UTC 2002

Chris Muller wrote:
[snip]
> Thankfully, I believe my solution is simple.  I'm going to change my oid map so
> that new and user objects are below 32-bits.  It'll limit a Magma repository to
> 32 million objects (excluding integers, floats and characters) but hey, I don't
> think Squeak can currently write past just a few gigs anyway.

Hello,

I need educated. :)

What are you talking about with Squeak only being able to write a few
gigs? Are you referring to the image?

What impact would/does this have on Magma?

I have not tried Magma out yet but am very interested.

I am looking for a database which can handle minimally 4+ million
objects. Multi-gig database, possibly 10-20+.

Will Magma be suitable for such? (I know, its not much information.)

Or would I be better off exploring Stephen's BDB (
http://spair.swiki.net/25 ), Colin Putney's Tantalus (
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2002-July/016752.html
), or just directly to PostgreSQL? I know you can't necessarily answer
that. Just throwing out the alternatives for discussion.

I would like to stay as close to Squeak as is reasonable while having
good performance.

Thanks for any help.

Jimmie Houchin