demo cd (was: Squeak for WinCE/x86?)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Aug 7 22:36:24 UTC 2002

Jason Dufair <jase at dufair.org> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> I think it makes perfect sense.  It's a demo.  All we'd have to do is
> make sure it boots.  Who cares what the OS (or of the bits, for that
> matter) on the hard drive(s) of the machine is?  If we cover x86 and
> PPC, that only leaves out freaks running things like Acorns (sorry, Tim
> :-)).
Why require a bootable system in all cases? SqueakNews works pretty
well; for 'freaks' just make sure there is a vm  and let us handle it.
After all, I can run Squeak in a zip archive without problems, including
adding to the changelog and writing out changesets. Merely running from
a CD is no problem. Besides, Acorn don't do 'boot from this disc'
since it is a major security leak. Acorns boot from ROM with a
guaranteed clean copy of the os. :-)

tim

Useful random insult:- So dumb, he faxes face up.