[Magma] performance (was: test result)

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Thu Aug 8 02:04:14 UTC 2002

Tim Rowledge wrote:
> Jimmie Houchin <jhouchin at texoma.net> is claimed by the authorities to have written:
>
>>Understood. :)
>>
>>I really don't know much about Gemstone other than its expensive.
>>
>>Big ideas, small budget. My budget for this project isn't much different
>>than yours. :(
>
> Ah, sigh. And I was hoping you were a billionaire with cash to
> splash.... why do I never seem to meet any of them any more?

Oh I am trying Tim, I really am. :)

I would love to be able hire some the tremendous Squeak/Smalltalk talent
around who are wanting to work. There seems to be enough to do some
really interesting things if there were funding. It will be fun when I
become a dot.com Billionaire. ;)

If I had the funds for Gemstone I think it would be interesting to see
what could be done for Squeak throwing that kind of money at some nice
Squeakers. And if others could do similar when able...

I am sure we could rustle up some volunteers.

> Obviously when doing stuff for ones own pleasure it is very freeing,
> until the backup turns out to have failed and the last backup seems to
> have been used as an ashtray. What, me?

Yes indeed. That's one reason I've attempted to be cautious in my choice
of technology. My margin for failure is not boundless. But I can restart
as necessary. :)

> I'm going to stick with something like MySQL (via tantalus or simple ocbc) for my website thingy because it seems like a really good idea
> to have a standard database I can people to go use 'proper' tools on.

Not exciting but understood. I look forward to Tantalus, I am not expert
  in SQL so a nice transparent (or so) layer in Squeak would be
blessing. I am fond of riding on the expertise of others. :)

Jimmie Houchin