[BUG] [FIX] abandonSources in 3.2final

Boris Gaertner Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net
Thu Aug 8 11:17:28 UTC 2002

Hello Eric,

earlier today I posted a mail with a problem analysis of the
bug that you found.

I have now a fix (or at least something, that I think is a fix)
It modifies three methods in class CompiledMethod and adds
one new method. The compressed strings are now stored with
a two-byte size field. In principle it is possible to use a
one-byte size field for small strings and a two-byte field for
larger ones but for now I think that this is nothing but an
additional complication.

There are some conventions about the value of the last byte in
a compiled method. I hope that I understood these conventions.
Please look at
CompiledMethod>>sizeOfAttachedString  for a detailed
explanation.

This changes set modifies the format of the compiled methods.
This is *very* dangerous and I would therefore appreciate the
opinions of our more experienced fellows.

Eric, I think that you can now abandon the sources without
problems. It is not necessary to remove Genie or to modify
some of its methods. Please let me know about problems that
you might encounter.

Greetings
Boris