IP: Obituary for Ole-Johan Dahl and Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Nevin Pratt nevin at smalltalkpro.com
Thu Aug 8 15:19:09 UTC 2002

A "Dijkstra" saying I encountered awhile back can be found in:

Dijkstra, Edsger W., "On the Cruelty of Really Teaching Computing
Science," Communications of the ACM, 32:12, December 1989, pp. 1398-1404

He discusses the peculiar anthropomorphic-speaking habit of OO
practictioners, where the objects are documented in such a way as if
they were living beings, e.g. "I am a FooBar, and I like to foo around
with bars".  We've all seen that kind of object documentation, right?

Anyway, in the reference above, Dijkstra recommended that faculty
members be fined $5 each time they use this type of anthropomorphic
terminology.

Strange.

Nevin