Threads or suggestion?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Aug 8 20:24:57 UTC 2002

>Hi all -
>
>I poked around for threads in Squeak and didn't find much.  I'm
>looking for suggestions.

Try

ProcessBrowser  open

option click to turn auto-update on.

Then browse the methods
BlockContext fork
BlockContext forkAt:

Let's setup an infinite loop and fork it off in the back ground.
Use inspect so we've an easy handle to the Process instance

[[true] whileTrue: []] forkAt: Processor userBackgroundPriority

do a self terminate on the inspected process to kill it.
or option-click and pick a command from the ProcessBrowser menu.

Also see the class Process and the fun things you can do

ie sending debug to an instance of Process.

Many years ago when I was working on a Smalltalk server application
that handled Corba events I had a 'panic' method that would go out
and hunt down all the corba related processes and issue a debug
request against them all. Perfect for diagnostics.