Threads or suggestion?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Aug 8 20:31:37 UTC 2002

>You might also check out the Process and ProcessorScheduler classes if
>you want more info on Squeak's processor scheduling capabilities (both
>cooperative and preemptive scheduling is possible in Squeak).
>
>- Stephen

I should ask:

I've a VM change that captures the dispatch time for the currently
running process at the point of process context switch. Although some
of this logic is in smalltalk, the core dispatcher is in the interp.c
code. Thus you can't accurately track this value without a VM change.

This VM change adds three instances variables to a Process.
startTime
endTime
accumulatedTime

Right now people tend to use some type of watching process to account
for which process is mostly active or accumulating the most time.
This VM change ensures the information is recorded correctly.

If there is any interest I could drag this change out of my archives
and build a Mac VM?