[BUG][FIX] netscape browser plugin change

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Aug 9 19:18:45 UTC 2002

John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> However in testing 3.2.8b3 on the macintosh under os-x we found some
> cases where we could hang IE. This turned out to be an issue with
> squeak when it is idle. If there is only the idle loop process
> running, then it seems there isn't a new method being activated, nor
> a long unconditional jump taking place. Thus the termination flag
> never is checked.
This is very disturbing John. The idle loop bytecodes clearly include an
A3 F8 longjump of -8 bytes, back to the beginning of the idleLoop. A
backwards longJump most definitely should call
internalQuickCheckForInterrupts.  And if the counter on
interruptCheckCount is working, that should lead to checkInterrupts.

Remember what Yoda tells us
"backward jumps lead to interrupt checks.
interrupt checks lead to interrupt handling...
and interrupt handling leads to - event routines!"

tim

Strange OpCodes: CLOUT: Call Long-distance On Unused Telephone