is anybody working on a Zaurus port?

reic0024 at d.umn.edu reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Fri Aug 9 20:18:35 UTC 2002

Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Tom Rushworth <tbr at mannynkapy.net> is claimed by the authorities to have written:
>
> > I've been looking at it, but I'm a newbie to Squeak and the VM, and don't
> > have a lot of spare time either.  After looking at sizes and available
> > RAM etc, I thought it would be best to bring up the Squeak VM as a
> > QTopia direct framebuffer app.
> Several people have taken and built on the framebuffer direct stuff I
> did several years ago for the Itsy, including I think Aaron (?).  It
> ought not be difficult to sort out, with the only problem I foresee of
> any magnitude being handling pixel endian issues. You may need to make
> use of the SurfacePlugin stuff to convert from Squeak's slavish copy
> of Mac pixel format to the probably little endian Zaurus format.

I just took your itsy code, plugged it into the then-current VM and
found it didn't work right away for me, so I gave up on it, not knowing
much of anything about framebuffers or VMs. Jay Carlson actually got a
working one up- not sure if it's based on yours.  Works on the regular
Linux framebuffer. Found it in:
http://vhl-tools.sourceforge.net/ftp/squeak/preview/

Also, I believe Tommy Thorn may have available a pre-built VM, based on
code written to use DirectFB directly (not Qtopia), which was written by
Lee (novo in the #squeak irc channel).

Regards,
Aaron