[BUG][FIX] netscape browser plugin change

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sat Aug 10 17:31:14 UTC 2002

>  > condition I could just watch it spin on the idleLoop Process.
>I don't suppose there is some problem with the compiler handling the
>foo->interruptCheckCounter -=1 instead of the all-other-platform code
>interruptCheckCounter -=1 ? Take a look at the assembly.

foo-> isn't an issue, that's just the global structure code the
macintosh VM has for performance reasons.

Just for you I looked with GDB

Usually the code in primitiveResponse thumps checkForInterrupts which
resets the  interruptCheckCounter because of how the check based on
the clock works.

Now if you want long enough (many seconds 15 or so) then the code in
longUnconditionalJump might get invoked. Of course under this unix
system (os-x) once the browser gets hung out to dry for 5 seconds or
so people get real impatient and consider it broken.

>And just generally, I mean, yuck. Has anyone bothered to look at
>checkInterrupts recently? Blech. What a mess.

Want to fix it?

So whats the story behind shortUnconditionalJump and longUnconditionalJump?