Squeak/Linux.

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Sun Aug 11 17:56:59 UTC 2002

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 05:10:00AM -0400, Gary Fisher wrote:
> It might be helpful to look at the micro-distribution from 1999 called
> "squeakos" (as distinguished from the more current SqueakNOS), which boots a
> working, graphical Squeak2.2 image via a minimalist Linux, all from a single
> 3.5" floppy disk.  (Get a copy at http://swain.webframe.org/squeak/floppy/
> or grab the source code at
> http://www.ira.uka.de/~marcus/Squeak/SqueakOS/SqueakOS-src.tar.gz).  It's
> not much use in its present form, having been built primarily just to prove
> it could be done, but certainly ought to be able to offer some direction in
> how to do a more useful version.

These two "SqueakOS" (http://swain.webframe.org/squeak/floppy/ and
http://www.ira.uka.de/~marcus/Squeak/SqueakOS/) are
actually two different projects, only with the same name...

My "SqueakOS" was a weekend project to build a "real" OS Kernel with
the help of OSKit. This uses a command-line Squeak (called "embedded
Squeak" which was based on Squeak 2.2 and originally done by Paul Fernhout)

OSKit is really nice, see http://www.cs.utah.edu/flux/oskit/ for more
information. They provide lots of little building blocks for a OS kernel
that can be put together as needed.
The SqueakOS Kernel does *not* have a Filesystem, Virtual Memory, Malloc, or
even a scheduler. It's more like a minimal bootloader for Squeak.

My first version of the bootable disk was based (like the "other" SqueakOS)
on Linux (actually a modified Debian Rescuedisc):
http://www.ira.uka.de/~marcus/Squeak/demodisk

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de  -- Squeak! http://squeakland.org