newbie question

Torge Husfeldt Torge.Husfeldt at gmx.de
Mon Aug 12 10:13:43 UTC 2002

Hi Ezhil,

Ezhil wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This may not be strictly a Squeak question - but hopefully I will be
> excused...
> We are trying to put together a small Squeak application which reads and
> displays large data files stored on a UNIX machine. While attempting to
> port the application to Windows we find that the UNIX filenames of the
> form -> '2002_07_20_05:21:44.fits' cannot be used as they are as Windows
> converts them to something else. Is there anyway to anticipate what the
> equivalent Windows file name will be??
>
> thanks
> Rosalind
Any reasonably recent mtools manpage will give you a quite good overview of standard filename manglings. Have to make sure that your mechanism uses the same standards (as Andreas mentioned there might be differences).

<Quote>       As you  see,  the  following  transformations  happen  to
       derive a short name:

       *      Illegal characters are replaced by underscores. The
              illegal characters are ;+=[]',\"*\\<>/?:|.

       *      Extra dots, which cannot be interpreted as  a  main
              name/extension separator are removed

       *      A ~n number is generated,

       *      The name is shortened so as to fit in the 8+3 limi­
              tation

        The initial Unix-style file name (whether long or  short)
       is  also  called  the  primary name, and the derived short
       name is also called the secondary name.
</quote>

HTH,
Torge