Flow 2 alpha 1 released

Craig Latta craig.latta at netjam.org
Tue Aug 13 06:57:10 UTC 2002

Hi--

	Alrighty then... I just released Flow 2 alpha 1, a streaming framework
for Squeak. It provides a handy interface for manipulating external
resources of various stripes, and for writing services that use them
(e.g., "clients and servers"). Please see http://netjam.org/flow for
details.

	This release features:

-	greatly simplified installation

	Download a ZIP file and file-in the sole file within. After
installation you're ready to go; you don't need to build a new VM or
even restart your running Squeak. I've only tested this with the Squeak
3.2 final snapshot. For the next release, I'll test with subsequent
updates loaded.

-	socket support (not new but worth mentioning :)

-	filesystem support

-	partial serial and parallel port support

-	the basic framework for other planned transports (MIDI, digital audio,
IEEE 1394 ["FireWire"], IR)

	I've tested on GNU/Linux, Windows 98SE, and WinCE. If you'd like to
help test on other platforms, please let me know! MacOS X should be
particularly straightforward, since it's allegedly FreeBSD underneath (I
don't have access to a Mac). There's a Flow mailing list; details are at
the website.

	thanks!

-C

p.s.

	As I recall, there used to be a "Squeak announcements" list. It doesn't
seem to be around anymore. Is it?

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist