Simula Language Development

Ken Dickey res1b7on at verizon.net
Tue Aug 13 17:41:55 UTC 2002

I also met Kristen at the first HOPL.  I will always remember his
comment on how people often think of co-development of a language as "a
beautiful pastoral scene of peaceful cooperation".  He related the
following incident.

    In the spring of 1967 a new employee of the Norwegian
   Computing Center came running in to the telephone exchange
   and, very shocked, told the operator: "two men are fighting
   in front of the blackboard on the first floor corridor!"
   The operator went out of her cubicle, listened for a few
   seconds, and said "Relax -- it's only Ole-Johan and Kristen
   discussing SIMULA!"

[From the transription of Kristen's comments as reported in _History of
Programming Languages_, Richard Wexelblat, editor, ISBN 0-12-745040-8.
This was a truely amazing conference in 1978.  Members of the Algol 60
comittee were still arguing over votes taken in 1960!].

They will be missed,
-Ken Dickey