SqueakMap shaping up...

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Wed Aug 14 14:34:52 UTC 2002

Hi all!

Just to let you all know that SqueakMap is getting closer to beta
testing:

- I have added more validation when registering/editing packages and
repositories.
- Categories have been added and you can browse them! :-) And there is a
working but unintuitive administration web UI for them too, if you know
the password.
- Categories can be made mandatory which means that some choices must be
made when a registration is made. For an example - "Licenses" is a
mandatory category currently to force people into entering something,
but we can add more of those. Another could be "Status" with
subcategories "Bleeding edge, Alpha, Beta, Stable, Rocksolid" - you get
the picture.
- A lot of other details not really visible.

Here is a link straight into the map showing the category "SqueakL":
http://marvin.bluefish.se:8000/sm/category/94277ca9-4d8f-4f0e-a0cb-57f4b
48f1c8a

Next step:

- Hammering on the slave synchronization part. It works but I need to
validate it better.
- Fix any small bugs and perhaps add simple little things that pop up.
- Deploy a master map on a testserver for beta testing. Anyone
interested in helping me do some beta testing? (registering, editing
etc)
- Hook it into 3.3a for resolving repositories (I think I know how to do
this...)

And after that:

- Add keyword searching using Scott's engine
- Perhaps add some functionality for "annotations" of registrations
(simple bug reporting etc)
- Write a nice Morphic SqueakMap browser (instead of the web UI)

Well... ask away. This is a very important tool for us all - I am simply
amazed at the low amount of feedback sofar. Don't you all see the
importance of this tool?

regards, Göran

PS. Will publish current SqueakMap code tomorrow. DS