Lego RCX-morph and SQLego stability

Edmund Ronald eronald at cmapx.polytechnique.fr
Wed Aug 14 04:45:52 UTC 2002

Hi Ned and others interested in Lego + Squeak -

 I cannot manage to load in Ned's  RCXMorph file, with or without
Alexandre's classes loaded into a 3.2 Squeak. I was interested in Ned's
code as Alexandre's stuff seems to work *sometimes* and often puts up an
error notifier.

 Error notifiers are OK for interactive work but a nuisance
if you are using a learning algorithm ...

Anyway, my questions are
1. Is there a *stable* version of the comms routines for the RCX ? How do
I debug the error notifiers I get intermittently ?
2. How do I figure out the loading problems for RCXMorph ? I am a newbie
albeit a middle-aged one :)
3. What is the state of play on Lego and Squeak ? Shall we form a SIG ? :)
4. How does one work around error notifiers at run-time - ie catch the
notifier with a different process and fail gracefully - without having to
rewrite complex existing code like the RCX  comms stuff ?

Edmund