Urgent and Important about 3.2

Boris Gaertner Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net
Thu Aug 15 05:30:25 UTC 2002

At Aug 14, Stephane Ducasse asked:

>>I would like to know what is the latest version of 3.2 that I should take.
>>Apparently Bruce is on holiday so I will have to do the update by hand.
>>Is it correct?
Yes.

The current state of 3.2:
On the servers you find Squeak 3.2 with updates up to
update #4917. This version is quite nice but contains
one or two rather unpleasant bugs.

At Aug 09 Scott Wallace announced a burst of 12 updates
for Squeak 3.2. These updates are available at the Squeak
Server and can be loaded into the image. (With
help -> update code from server) The updates are
successfully loaded when your image contains
update # 4952. (When you open the transcript before
you download the updates, the numbers of the loaded
updates are written into the transcript. The updates
can also be browsed in the changes sorter).

With these updates you have a very usable Squeak.

I think that Scott does not plan to publish any further
updates to Squeak 3.2.

Contributors to this list communicated two minor
bugs in the image  3.2 #4952:

Eric Scharff ran into a problem when he wanted to
abandon sources (Aug  07)

Bob Arning found that you cannot add instance
variables and class variables to a class at the same time.
(Aug 09)

I think that ScorePlayer does not always work as it
should when it plays a score via MIDI (the built in
synthesizer works much better).
(Jul 21)

None of these bugs is really dramatic. I do not
expect proposed fixes for these bugs to be
published as a further update to Squeak 3.2.
(Scott, what is your position?)

In my opinion you are free to include additional fixes into
the edition that you will distribute on CD, but with such
additional fixes you create your own "Swiss Edition" of
Squeak. It is perhaps better to publish the official version
(3.2, last update 4952) and an appendix with the
proposed fixes. What do you think about that?

Greetings,
Boris

We are about to burn a thousand of cd with Squeak for esug and other
events.
I would like to know what is the latest version of 3.2 that I should take.
Apparently Bruce is on holiday so I will have to do the update by hand. Is
it correct?

Thanks for your advices.

Dr. Stéphane DUCASSE (ducasse at iam.unibe.ch)
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/