[SUBMISSION] The Quinto Game.

Göran Hultgren goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Thu Aug 15 18:40:09 UTC 2002

Hi all!

Quoting Ian Piumarta <ian.piumarta at inria.fr>:
[SNIP]
> If Squeak had a widget set that used a layout algorithm as elegant,
> powerful, general and efficient as that found in TeX, the world would
> be a much better (and simpler) place.
>
> Just my personal sentiment.

My personal view is that of all the layout mechanisms I have tried:

- VWs GUI builder with relative, absolute
can't-remember-exactly-but-it-involved-trial-and-error model
- The box model from TeX (used in Swing and other frameworks). In Swing they
really messed things up with alignments, max/min and the layoutmanager...
- Javas freaky default layoutmodels (can't remember their names even)
- The VisualAge Smalltalk model where you could relate edges to each other
regardless of their place in the container hierarchy

I must say the latest was the only one that delivered consistently what I tried
to achieve. That model was also reimplemented by a collegue and used with
pleasure in Java.

Just my 2 cents.

regards, Göran

Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
\"Department of Redundancy department.\" -- ThinkGeek