[ANN] SqueakMap-020815

Göran Hultgren goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Thu Aug 15 18:50:28 UTC 2002

Hi all!

Quoting Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com>:
> Right now, SqueakMap seems primarily for human use.

No. :-)

> I think this is too limiting for (future) tools.

No. :-)

> Most/all of the "download URL" links lead to HTML that then has to be
> manually navigated to find the appropriate change set.

It's just dummy data!

> Then the CS has to be installed.

Yes, today we more or less have three options:

1. Just register a homepage for the package. You are then on your own from there.
2. Register a download url to a zip, tgz whatever. The tool can download it but
that is about it.
3. Register a module path. Today that will not lead you anywhere because we
haven't integrated SqueakMap with Modules yet, but after I have done that you
will be able to have tools load it fully.

...and after thinking about this I would like to add one more:

4. If the downloaded file is a cs.gz the tool could offer to decompress and file
it in. That would be nice.

> Can't there be some way to provide a fully qualified download path for
> more automated tools (i.e. don't require a web browser (and a human)
> to download things)?

Oh yes! I am aware that I have been writing too much postings on the list for
you to bother to read it all ;-) but I have on numerous occasions hinted (and
asked for help) that the next step is to build a Morphic SqueakMap browser.

THAT will be the primary tool for users. The web UI is just a last resort.

Would you like to help out? The model is right there in the zip I released - you
just need to slap a Morphic UI on top. :-)

regards, Göran

Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
\"Department of Redundancy department.\" -- ThinkGeek