[SUBMISSION] The Quinto Game.

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Fri Aug 16 05:47:40 UTC 2002

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> wrote:
[SNIP]
> And then there's GTK's box and spring method (is this like the Swing
> one?): everything is inside (possibly nested) vertical or horizontal
> boxes, and spacing inside the boxes is done by various kinds of
> spacers, including different kinds of springs and fixed-size spacers.

That sounds like the TeX model. Also present in Java 1.2 and onwards
(but not before I think).

> Of course, this doesn't let you relate things in different boxes to
> each other easily, but it is simple for a GUI builder and is also
> simple to understand.

I agree, it is a nice model. In Java they messed it up though when
combining it with max/min size and alignment.
I never really understood how they all relate to each other.

The most optimal (I think) would be the box model (with glue, struts
etc) combined with the "edge model". Often you want to arrange things
vertically/horizontally (boxes are good for this) but when describing
resizing behaviour and more complicated layouts (the most simple example
is alignment of labels) you also want to be able to relate the edges to
each other independently of their nesting. And also note that each
component normally has at least 4 edges which can be independently
related to other things.

Is this model possible in Morphic? Do we have it already?

regards, Göran