newbie question: Squeak and window's windows :-)

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Fri Aug 16 16:37:17 UTC 2002

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Maksim Krylov wrote:

> Is it possible to open multiple Windows windows.

Not really, at least out of the box.

> Right now after starting
> squeak I have one window with Squeak browsers.

That's the standard behavior.

> I am new with Squeak (but not
> with Smalltalk). IBM's VAST can do it so i thought Squeak can do this to am
> I right?

You aren't right, and your reasoning is rather suspect :)

Squeak neither uses native widges and windows (as VAST, Dolphin, etc. do)
nor does it seek to emulated them (like VisualWorks). It has it's own
windowing/widget system (two, actually).

Now, there have been a few attempts to hook up to external window systems.
Using a plugin or FFI, it shouldn't be so *very* hard to do this for
limited purposes. To do it in the general case would, imho, move away from
at least one central aspect of the Squeak spirit (total control in a
consistent, transparent way). This isn't necessarily a bad thing, and for
some people, it's an essential thing. But it is a different thing :)

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.